Wednesday 13 November 2019

Roadster 100 Touch Up Paint Chip Repair Kit & Process + Philip's Paint Saga



Back in 2010, Member Mike Hargreaves wrote this message for us in our Group Mail. 

(Thanks to Stuart Williamson for finding it for me in the archive) - Here is Mike's Message.

Hi everybody,
If anyone needs any touch up paint for the 100 I have identified and bought 
the appropriate colour from the local Mercedes Dealer. 
It is 6272 Amazonit Grun Mica. It costs about £12.00. 
- There about 3 similar colours but this, as the name suggests is the correct one.
Does anyone else feel that the paint scratches/scuffs as soon as you
touch it. I feel that mine does.
Cheers
Mike Hargreaves
...................................................................................

The Chipex System

Chipex - The Revolutionary Car touch up paint System

Chipex Ltd
10 Thorpe Way,
Thorpe Industrial Est,
Banbury,
Oxfordshire
OX16 4SP 
United Kingdom
Tel: 01295 258308
Email: info@chipex.co.uk


Take a look at their Website to see two interesting and Informative Video Clips.


The revolutionary and easy-to-use alternative to touch-up sticks or expensive 'smart repairs'.

The Chipex Paint Repair System allows the home user to simply and safely repair paint chips, scratches and Road Rash damage to a high standard and increase the used car value without the cost of a body shop.

Every Chipex paint is hand made to the manufacturers colour formulation for an exact colour match and allows the user to easily apply and remove the paint unlike conventional touch up sticks and paint pens.


    • Computer Matched Paint
    • No Paint Blobs
    • Fast, Simple & Safe
    • Enhances Vehicle Resale Value
    • Prevents Rust
    • Treats Road Rash.
..........................................

PHILIP LORING'S MERCEDES AMAZON GREEN PAINT SURVEY 

(To find the Mercedes Amazon Green Paint Number used on our cars)

I am still “on the case “regarding Amazon Green and as you are aware I was really quite miffed after the factory visit, especially as I had been led to believe that all would be resolved.

Never the less, I have now tracked down Morelli paint and the good news is they have a unit in Enfield just off of the A10 and about 40 mins or so from me.

Morelli Group Ltd.
Unit 2 Baird Rd,  
Enfield,  
Middlesex,  
EN1 1SJ
Tel:  020 8351 5151

Too late to ring today so I will get on to them tomorrow to see if they can point me in the direction of the magic formula Amazon Green Glazers No1 Std.

So,

I contacted Morelli and spoke to a very helpful guy who told me that they had not supplied any paint to Morgan. 

He did not recognise Gazers No.1 Std but did in conversation mention the name Glasurit.

I asked him to check this and he found on his computer Amazon Green Glasurit, A Mercedes colour discontinued in 2004. 

Looks like they have bought up some old stock somewhere says he.

He then went on to say that he would be very happy to help if I could find any more detail about the paint.

 i.e. Water base /cellulose etc and suggested that I should contact a chap named Mark who was very good and was now operating over near Bishops Stortford.  

So guess where I located him?   Working part time for Melvyn Rutter!

I phoned Melvyn and told him the whole story.  

Well I must be able to help you says Melvyn and suggests that he has the car anyway to repair the small dent and paint damage to the Nearside Door.

So I have now handed the job over to Melvyn who will have my car on the 30th to fix the damage, sort the paint, and fit Suplex Front Suspension upgrade.  

He can also supply the sun visors that the factory told me to get from him anyway.

Back to the paint.  

I have given Michael Mackay my Mercedes touch up kit to see if it matches his car, I will find out on Saturday when I see him.

If you want to look up Glasurit  on the web they have all the colours by car make and year of manufacture plus a technical sheet showing the mix components.  

Put in Amazon Green and you will find nearly every manufacturer has a version!

When this is all resolved (if) I hope to be able to get the paint spec to put on our website for those with a lighter shade of green.

The paint magician at Rutters now confirms that the colour is definitely 272 Amazon Green BUT unless you spray it you will not get a match. 

He says the only way to get close is to use a cocktail stick then build up the paint with the lacquer.  

This means that the Chipex special kit might be worth having as that is put on with a cocktail stick type system, and that the conversation with Morgan Paint Shop Supervisor was a load of b******ks.

Not sure when the car will be ready but looking forward to going round corners and only having one version of green paint on the car.

Philip's Chipex Kit.

The Chipex Kit in its Packaging.

The Chipex Code is 6272 Amazon Green.

Philip has taken these pictures of the kit and its contents so that I could complete this Topic

Frank.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack

  The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack During The Centenary of The Morgan Motor Company the owners of new Morgans in build were offered the variou...