Tuesday 6 March 2018

Dave Wellings Classic Mog - Winter Buddy Half Tonneau Cover

This Project came about after a recent discussion on kidney draughts(drafts?). 

I'd never noticed the huge gap around the door lock with the door closed. It's not something you look at when you're in the car.

I started with a strip of HDPF - high density polyethylene foam. This is rigid enough to tuck around the door lock aperture and will hold the excluder in place without glue or double sided tape.

Here are the two cut pieces of HDPF with 6mm circular section neoprene profile.

 
I superglued these together and shaped the ends.



This was then wrapped with 3mm standard density neoprene to provide the padding.

The first trial fit. I wanted the excluder to look like a continuation of that which is fitted along the bottom edge of the door frame.



Then covered with leather. 

I tried a hot glue gun, but aerosol adhesive worked better.


It simply slots into place, just tight enough to stay there.



Passenger side.






And that's it. Just a couple of hours work after cutting the initial shape. Everything was in stock so it cost nothing. I'll see how it goes.

Early tests were promising but I need a good run on a cold morning and its been such a wet winter!

The High Density Polyurethane Foam (HDPF) is 4mm, from Nuttalls, as was the 3mm standard density neoprene.

The neoprene section is from COH Baines.

The fitting may be fiddly because the gap between the lock casting and the timber frame is variable. 

If I do this job on the Plus 4, I may have to use aluminium instead of the HDPF because its a lot tighter. Aluminium will work, and will look OK when leather covered.

Additional Comment:

I have ordered a meter of 6mm neoprene rod from these people..

The name made me laugh and they have an amazing range of stuff !!




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack

  The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack During The Centenary of The Morgan Motor Company the owners of new Morgans in build were offered the variou...