Wednesday 28 February 2018

Dave Wellings on Correctly Fitting Long Running Board Support Brackets

Dave Wellings on Correctly Fitting Long Running Board Support Brackets

Today I've been applying some extra Tectyl 506 under the front wings & running boards, ready for the spring.

I also wanted to refit the long plate bracket on the nearside, which holds the running board in place, because it wasn't quite straight...........see below:


So I removed it - held by three setscrews and two self tapping screws.

They all came out easily.

I trimmed the edge, cleaned the surfaces and refitted, after applying Waxoyl on both sides.

On the offside I wanted to apply Tectyl properly, so the exhaust had to come off.


While I had access I thought I'd remove the bracket on this side. Interestingly, both screws had sheared and were only held in place by the underseal.

These are quite thin coarse threaded screws, and a couple had sheared on Bumble when I did the same job.

Although it's tempting to attempt to re-drill the hole, a screw stub in wood is never going to end well, and reasonably thin replacement screws do go in down the side of the broken screw.

It's also a good chance to add a neoprene seal at the front to stop water and mud getting under the bracket.

Below: This shows the offside bracket after replacement, and the neoprene plug at the front.


I also added some heat resistant weave to the fuel pipes, because they are very close to the silencer. I did this job on my two previous Morgans.


I also cleaned up the brackets, which were already a bit scabby..............



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack

  The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack During The Centenary of The Morgan Motor Company the owners of new Morgans in build were offered the variou...