Friday 23 February 2018

Dave Wellings Rally Plaque Holders

Dave Wellings Rally Plaque Holders - 2009

Roadster Version

Today I've been down and dirty once again. Some of you chaps are clearly Trackday Kings, but I'm more of a Sunday Luncher.


Anyway, those who have entered Classic Car runs will know that mounting the Rally Plaque can be bothersome.

I've just entered an event in May so thought I would see what could be done.

I figured that a cantilever arrangement could be fitted to the single overrider bolt, mounting the Plaque in front of the wing.

It doesn't matter which side, but it won't be interchangeable, so I've gone for the offside.


I dug around for some suitable metal, and came up with a rectangular piece with a small hole at each end which came with the Mog.

I suspect it might be the radio blanking plate because it's about that size.

So after drilling, trial fitting, shaping and painting, it looks like this:


Next I took an old Perspex number plate which, when removed from a car had pulled the backing away, leaving a clear piece.

I cut this to the right length, filed the raw edge and made two rounded corners to match the other side.

Here's a tip. NEVER throw ANYTHING away.


After marking, this was drilled to fit the red bracket, and fixed with double sided tape and three Allen headed stainless bolts with locknuts in proper Mog style.


At the unsupported end I've added a rubber buffer to protect the paint.


The next picture shows how easy this is fitted to the Mog.



And here it is in all its glory.



I happened to have an old Rally Plaque from 2007.

I use double sided tape to attach 'on the day'.

The Devil is in the detail. (Subtle Gag there.........)





In June 2013 it was time to revisit this, and give it a quick refurb, ready for Canterbury.

So I stripped it down, and repainted the bracket.

I also decided to paint the clear perspex, but because I use double sided tape to secure the rally plaque, it's better painted from behind.

I added a black line at the bottom, and then got the idea of adding a large MSCC badge.

I can fit the double sided tape on either side of this. I'm quite happy with the result! 
  




Roadster Wing Protector

As part of my wing protection crusade, I wondered about mounting a small protector in front of the rear wing using the two running board fixings.

This should have been straightforward, but the factory (Bless em) had used different sized fixings on each side.


Fortunately the man with the drill had used the same drill, so to retain 'originality' (Hah!!), I used the big fixing on the inside hole and the small fixing on the outer hole.

So eventually I got there:


This one (just) shows the two sized fixings.


 Plus 4 Version

I've had to revisit this again in 2014, because red won't match Bumble.

So I've restored the bracket - which is a radio blanking plate bent to shape, and the new plastic is black tinted sun visor which was surplus to requirements.






The rally plaque is stuck with double sided tape.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack

  The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack During The Centenary of The Morgan Motor Company the owners of new Morgans in build were offered the variou...