Sunday 28 January 2018

Making Rear Wing Chip Guards


My Rear Wing Chip Protection Flaps



I made and fitted some 'Dave Welling Designed' Rear Wheel Arch Stone 'Chip Guards' to the R100.

My version is not as sophisticated as Dave's but was fairly easy to make and fit.

Hopefully they should do the job for me if if I do find myself on loose stony roads on my long journey Around Britains Coast Roads. 

To fit them I did not even need to take off the wheels, just to jack up the back end for easier access to the Bolt Heads.

These Chip Guards are attached to the cross beam between the body and the wheel arch.

They are made from Fibre Board (similar to the material that old suitcases were made from.

For durability, I sprayed both sides with two coats of undercoat.

I then added a strip of Wicks Adhesive Lead Flashing to the working side.

This helps to reduce the speed of any chips thrown up by the wheels.

At the rear side I fixed a sheet of Flexible Plastic Sheet taken from an old A4 Folder to give them more stability.
I wanted to add a section of rubber flap to the top to bridge the gap between my flaps and the wheel arch and a small mud flap at the bottom end.

These were made from an old rubber car mat.

The rubber sections are attached using Pop Rivets and washers at the top and nuts and bolts at the lower end.

The whole unit is attached to its cross beam using nuts and bolts with penny washers each side to spread the pressure points.

Lastly I just needed to cover the exposed Nuts & Bolts and Washers with some spray on Waxoil for rust protection.


The Parts




The Temporary Assembly of the Two Sheets



The Wicks Adhesive 'Flashing' with the Top & Lower Rubber Flap Added

               
The Assembly Ready to fit to the car by sliding the Yellow Plastic Sheet over the Tie Bar.


 The Installed Guard taken from the Rear Side 




 The Installed Guard taken from the Wheel Side  

Frank

The Morgan Centenary Roadster 100 Register

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack

  The Morgan Centenary Trim Pack During The Centenary of The Morgan Motor Company the owners of new Morgans in build were offered the variou...